The California Center for Sustainable Communities
Institute of the Environment and Sustainability (IoES) at UCLA
The California Center for Sustainable Communities (CCSC) conducts work on topics important to the transition toward greater urban sustainability, bringing together the leading edge researchers.
CCSC provides research, insights, data, methods, models, case studies, tools and strategies to address land use and transportation challenges facing California communities, and serves as a resource for policy makers, stakeholders and the residents of the state. The CCSC’s mission is to assist the state’s communities in the transition to greater sustainability on multiple fronts.
Dr. Stephanie Pincetl is the Director of the California Center for Sustainable Communities at UCLA and is Professor-in-Residence at the UCLA Institute of the Environment and Sustainability.
MAIN RESEARCH THEMES
- Urban Metabolism methods and quantification of Los Angeles County
- Integrated social-biophysical research on human environmental interactions and their impacts and feedback loops
- Social justice and urban environmental sustainability through revitalizing and renaturalizing the urban environment
- Research and analysis of systems of governance and government for democratic accountability and greater sustainability
- Energy Systems and California Communities
- The Energy Atlas
- Energy use in buildings across Southern California by building vintage, size, etc.
- Analysis of electricity, natural gas and greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) by building type
- Identification of sociodemographics & energy use
- Institutional architecture of water management in Los Angeles County
- Water use by vegetation in the county
- Native water (water availability in LA County)
- Vegetative biodiversity in Southern California and Human management of the landscape
- Metropolitan Water District (MWD) turf replacement impacts
- Impact on water use, biodiversity and human preferences
- Climate impact
PRIMARY FUNDING SOURCES
|· National Science Foundation
· LA County
|· California Energy Commission
· Metropolitan Water District
A PDF of this factsheet is available 2016-04 CCSC Factsheet.